Luck of the Irish Corned Beef Brisket
No other main dish says St. Patrick's Day like the traditional meal of corned beef and cabbage. This is a simple recipe that is sure to add the perfect bit 'o Irish to your evening meal.
4 pounds Certified Angus Beef® fresh corned beef brisket with seasoning packet
3 quarts water
2 onions, halved and stuck with 2 cloves each
6 carrots, peeled and halved
1 (1-inch) cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
12 coriander seeds
12 whole peppercorns
3 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 large head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- Place corned beef and seasoning packet in large heavy pot; add water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add onions and carrots. Bring back to a boil and skim off fat.
- Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat to medium to low and cover. Simmer approximately 2 to 4 hours until beef is tender. When brisket pierces easily, it is ready.
- Drain the water, place brisket on a platter and let stand about 10 minutes.
- Slice diagonally across the grain and serve with cabbage, carrots and onion.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 374; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 103mg; Total Carbs: 15g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 49g; Sodium: 1741mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Certified Angus Beef LLC.